Followers

Tuesday 8 January 2013

Tractors Kalashnikovs and Green Tea

In November I received a parcel from a book distributor in the US.

I had  an e-mail from my old mate Mick Kuerschner who was working in New Guinea at the time. He said he'd arranged to send me a book he was reading. He knew I was searching for people to tell me about the parts they'd played or in fact were still play in Australia's Ag Machinery Industry.

When the book arrived I was bowled over. The cover read 'TRACTORS, KALASHNIKOVS and GREEN TEA. Opening the book I was hooked, who wouldn't be, and even more presently surprised to  see it was written by tractor enthusiast and veteran of the machinery industry Ian M Johnson.

The book is a memoirs of Ian's life. Beginning at the time when as a boy in Scotland he decides to move to Australia to see what such a country might hold in store. There are plenty of adventures for a young man with a love of things mechanical and a desire to work on the land. I'm sure our climate may have had an influence as well.

Ian's book deals with his time working with Lanz Bulldog, Massey Ferguson, Landini and the industrial tractor business in NSW. Ian's book has anecdotes and stories covering a wide spectrum. From meeting Harry Ferguson while in college to Running his own successful machinery dealership in Australia. This is a great read for everyone who has a connection to our land and it's farmers and anyone who just loves a great story.

Thanks to Mick for sending me the book and to Ian for writing it.

No comments:

Post a Comment