Followers

Wednesday 30 January 2013

ROD JUSTICE Retired Farmer

Today we welcome Rod Justice from Trentham to tell us a bit about he got started working with Farm Machinery. Rod’s story departs from those people who made and sold or repaired the tractors and implements as his experience is from a customer’s point of view. Rod is somebody who bought and used the machinery.

 

Welcome to AgList Rod and thanks for agreeing to do this interview. Tell me how did you get started in the machinery game?

When I left school there weren’t too many choices like a lot of kids in a similar situation I guess it was predestined for me to become a farmer.

And what was the first role, and for who?

I worked for my parents on the family farm. Trentham was a big potato growing area at that time and I spent most of my days growing and harvesting potatoes.

Tell me a bit about it, anything interesting happen

No one day in particular stands out. Each week was pretty much the same just filled with all the things that go on in day to day working of a farm.

Did you have a career plan or did it just evolve?

No I think I was like a lot of others around my age at the time, it was a job that pretty much just evolved.

Worst day at work, can you tell me what happened and when?

I can’t recall anything that stands out now, but there was no doubt there were many.

And to balance things the best day at work, can you tell me what happened and when?

I’d have to say the same answer as above, nothing in particular come to mind.

Was this your first career choice?

Yes I think I always wanted to work the land, I didn’t really consider a career other than farming

How many different jobs have you held during your career?

All of my life I have been on the land but at times I found time to manage three other jobs away from the farm.

Describe your best job ever, be careful if it’s not the one you hold now.

Being a farmer is something special. It could be in our blood, but for me the connection to the land and to nature. It’s all I really ever wanted to do.

Tell us about any favourite times or parts of your career?

When I think back I suppose it’s been meeting great people over the last sixty years

What was the best product or service you ever owned, sold, or worked on?

We built up a fresh food distribution business. I enjoyed the challenge of that and it’s good to look back at the success we made of it. Something we can be proud of.

What is the most important innovation you’ve seen?

The Internet and the speed that it lets people communicate is probably the one I’d pick. It has opened so many new areas to help today’s farmers and businesses compete in world markets, while staying informed of latest trends and developments.

So how far did you go in school, and did you do any study after leaving?

I left school after achieving my Intermediate Certificate at high school.

What do like most about your work today?

We still have a few acres and that gives me an opportunity to be outside. Yeah, being outside is the best bit about what I do now.

What is that you are doing today, and who do you work for?

We sold most of the farm last year and have since retired. I say retired but in the meantime we have built a new home and that’s been keeping us busy.

Can you remember your first pay packet, tell us how you felt when you held it in your hands and can you tell us how much it was?

As our family had to struggle to make ends meet when I left school there was no first pay packet. I had a small allowance; just enough to get by until I managed to get other work and then built up our self employed businesses.

Can you tell us what you see any challenges the industry will face over the next few years?

The future will bring lots of challenges, but in agriculture the most pressing would have to be water.

And is there any advice you can give to anyone considering a similar career?

Study, learn as much as you can before you start working, and continue to study in support your of career, no matter what field you decide to work in.

Thanks Rod and good luck with your retirement.

 

1 comment:

  1. Copy of e-mail from Keith Waterhouse today

    Hi Terry
    Reading Phil Ronald's story reminded me that I used to supply him with parts for his Countys!
    Keith

    ReplyDelete