Followers

Saturday 19 January 2013

Phil Ronalds' Story


I first met Phil Ronalds in Bairnsdale, it was after the first day of a field day and we were sitting at dinner with a group of other machinery reps. As usually happens we talked of the day’s events and the people we knew within the industry. Back then Phil had an interesting history and one which he’s added to since. I’m pleased he responded to my request and offered to share some of his working life with our AgList followers.

Welcome to AgList Phil, and thanks again for participating. Tell me how did you get started in the machinery game, and what was your first job?

I started out as an Agricultural Contractor initially and in those days I was using Ford and County tractors.  I did that until I was about 35 years old. Contracting had its benefits but could also throw up challenges especially with seasonal fluctuations.

An opportunity to make a change came up and I opted for a corporate life. I began working as a branch manager for Detroit Engine and Turbine Co, then a sometime later I took up the position of Branch Manager for a John Deere dealer.

My days as a contractor certainly were good for the experience I gained. I learned a lot and developed a set of skills that have stood me in good stead for the rest of my career.

And that first role again, what was it, and for who?

As I said before, I started as the Branch Manager, Detroit Engine and Turbine Co, based in Morwell in East Victoria.

Sounds like a great job, can you tell me a bit about it, and did anything interesting happen?

It was an interesting and diverse role. We were supporting a wide range of engines and transmission products fitted into everything from the fishing fleet in Eastern Victoria, including large trawlers, to the ESSO oil rigs in Bass Straight. ESSO used our equipment and we’d service those from the Morwell branch too. Gippsland has a wide range of industries and we maintained fleets in the transport and logging business.

Helicopter flights onto the oil rigs in bad weather were always interesting, mostly with Vietnam Veterans as pilots, and they were guys who always had plenty of nerve.

When you left school, did you have a career plan or did it just evolve?

Evolution was more the norm I guess, although my goal was always to work for a Multinational tractor manufacturer, as I now do with AGCO.

We all have a story about our worst day at work. How about you, what happened and when?

The first one that springs to mind is meeting a young hoon on a blind corner. At the time I was towing a 12 foot wide New Holland Mower Conditioner behind a 6 foot wide ute, and really didn’t have the required permit. …The last I saw in my rear view mirror was his car sliding sideways….

And to balance things the best day at work, can you tell me what happened and when?

I have had lots of good days and still do. Looking back I’d say good days come mostly after I’ve completed the delivery of a new tractor. There is no better feeling than handing over a machine that has been properly set up to match the farmers implement and everything’s working correctly.

Was this your first career choice?

No, life doesn’t always work to a plan, but that’s what makes life so interesting, that and making the most of what comes along.

I usually ask, if this wasn’t your first choice, what happened?

I think this industry has changed so much over the years, sometimes you are just in the wrong place at the wrong time, and sometimes that’s just bad luck, but always you seem to come out better for the experience.

How many different jobs have you held during your career?

About six.

What would you say is the best job you’ve had?

The position I have now working for AGCO. It’s a company with a wide range of products that are manufactured to a high standard and are well suited to their application. One of the big four agricultural machinery manufacturers, I am privileged to represent such a reputable company.

Tell us about any favourite times or parts of your career?

Trips to Europe for training in source factories are always a great experience. Also the tours with our customers to see the places where their machines are built is always memorable.

And along the way I’ve learnt a raft of new skills and picked up a little Italian language.

What was the best product or service you ever owned, sold, or worked on?

The most fun I had was testing the very high horsepower engines we used to rebuild at Detroit Engines. These were all remanufactured to blueprint specifications, and after testing we shipped them back for use on the Oil Rigs.

Getting back to the Ag industry, what do you think is the most important innovation you’ve seen?

The introduction of computer controlled engines and transmissions into the ag industry. This technology has seen an improvement in efficiency the old timers could only dream about.

So how far did you go in school, and did you do any study after leaving?

Form four only. Although I have always believed you need to keep building your knowledge base and so I’ve completed many TAFE short courses over the years. One I am most proud of is learning Italian.

Things have no doubt changed since you started out. What do like most about the job you do today?

The thing I like best is that I am always able to meet different people from different places. It continues to increase my network of customers and colleagues. Many of these people have now become friends.

What is that you are doing today, and who do you work for?

I’m an Area Sales Manager for AGCO Australia Limited

Can you remember your first pay packet, tell us how you felt when you held it in your hands and can you tell us how much it was?

I’ll discount the contracting and say it would have been for Detroit Engine and Turbine Co. At that time I was 35 years of age, and I was on $26,000 per year as a branch manager. I thought at the time, it was huge money.

Can you tell us what you see any challenges the industry will face over the next few years?

Getting young people into the industry, ours is a small and sometimes little known job market. Therefore we need to find a new way to entice young people into machinery.

And is there any advice you can give to anyone considering a similar career?

Follow your dreams, after first getting a proper education.

No comments:

Post a Comment