Followers

Wednesday 20 February 2013

Geoff Moore the story of a fourth generation windmill man

How did you get started in the machinery game?

As the fourth generation of a 150 year old business, I was born into the business and it has been my life’s work for the past 45 years.

What name does your business trade under and what was your first role?

The company is W.D. Moore & Co. and I began my career in a division outside the Ag industry. But Windmills and water pumping were a part of what I grew up with. As a youngster (about aged 6) I would go with my father when he went out on jobs.

Tell me a bit about it, anything interesting happen

Even from an early age I was involved in making decisions for the business particularly regarding the Windmill. In 1969, father and I discussed the future of windmills held. He told me that in 1949, he believed the business might only have had 20 years left before something replaced them. Again in 1969, we both agreed that our firm might have another20 years left in the windmill business. 1989 and 2009 both pasted, and my feeling today is that we might still have another 20 years left in the windmill business.

Did you have a career plan at all or did it just evolve?

I have never deviated from the earliest childhood belief that I would spend my life in the family business.

Do you remember a worst day at work and if you can, tell me what happened?

Life has changed. For more than forty years I have worked with the belief that you come to work for two reasons - to make a living (we have never wanted for much other than sustenance and coverage), but the second reason is the most important - you must have fun. Today times are tough, and we have sold half the business. The second reason is no longer valid. We have had tough days before caused by drought and floods, low commodity prices and even government interference. But nothing compares to lack of job satisfaction.

And to balance things, what about the best day at work, what happened and when?

Better than 14,600 days have been the best days at work - enjoying the people who work with you, and the customers you have. Add to this the loyalty of suppliers who stick with you despite the hard times.

Was this your first career choice?

Yes, as I said earlier I was born into this business. I never thought about anything else.

How many different jobs have you held during your career?

I have only worked in the one company as I said but I really did everything.

The positions involved floor sweeper, office boy, technical writer, manager, general manager, managing director, teacher, mentor, public relations, and motivator

Describe the best role you held in the company.

Any of the above, each position led me on to the next role. Grooming me for the job I hold today.

Tell us about any favourite times you can recall during your career?

Two times stand out. The first being the development of the Solar Water Pumping Division of our company, and the second is the work I’ve done to support the Windmill Contractors and helping them to build better businesses.

What was the best product or service you ever owned, sold, or worked on?

It's still the windmill.

And the most important innovation you’ve seen or been part of what would that be?

The development of the "Australian Windmill Contractor Association", has offered a strong voice to individuals and a combined strength to tackle the larger issues of regulation as a united voice. The other innovation which has revolutionised our industry in my opinion is the Poly-Rod Borehole system for Windmills. For us it is proving to be more robust, more cost efficient and easier to maintain than the traditional system of steel pipes and rods.

Now about school, how far did you go and have you done any study after leaving?

I completed Year 12, and then spent one year at uni studying engineering but left at the end of that year only being successful at snooker. Then as and when my role demanded I completed various business studies.

What is that you are doing today, and who do you work for?

Same as always, I am still here at W.D. Moore & Co.

Can you tell us what you see any challenges the industry will face over the next few years?

Greed will emerge and the biggest problem for all business. What comes after China?

That’s a great question and every business is asking it. I hope our readers open up with their comments and thoughts on it.

Finally is there any advice you can give to anyone considering a similar career?

There is plenty of room in the renewable energy water pumping industry. A good living can be made, and all are welcome. You have to be prepared to work hard, be honest, and seek advice from others in the industry - if others are willing to help, embrace them as mentors. If they are unwilling they will become your competitors

Thanks Geoff for taking some time out of your day to participate in the project. The Farm machinery industry relies on so many different facets and trades that serve our needs. Your story helps to shed some light on the windmill and pumping side of our business.
Thank you.

1 comment:

  1. A number of friends in the bush have let me know how much these icons mean to their way of life. It is good that Geoff took time to share the story of his involvement.

    ReplyDelete